BAPS Charities Cardiovascular ScreeningBAPS Charities, in collaboration with staff from the Royal Free Hospital NHS Trust, organised a cardiovascular screening session at BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Neasden on Saturday 24 March 2012.
The session was aimed for those between 30 and 60 years. Appointments had been pre-booked. In total, 33 people were screened with the following tests undertaken:
- Measurement of height and weight with calculation of body mass index
- Measurement of abdominal circumference (waistline)
- Blood pressure check
- Blood glucose and cholesterol checks
- Assessment of arterial stiffness
- Carotid Doppler assessment
- Audiology assessment (of hearing)
- Dietician’s advice on a healthy vegetarian diet
- Advice and counselling from trained medical practitioners with the results
The average age of people screened was 45 years. Some of the findings included 18 people with an elevated body mass index, 22 people with an elevated blood glucose and 9 people with an elevated blood cholesterol. In addition, 7 out of 30 people screened were found to have hearing abnormalities.
The results highlighted once again that there are many young Asians in the community unaware that they may be at risk of developing either diabetes or heart-related disease. These tests and the service provided were extremely positively received and all screened patients were very grateful, praising the hard work performed by the team.